Trust AttorneyHelping you navigate the complexities of the law
If you are reading this, you are probably curious about the trust administration process and may be interested in what the role of a successor trustee is. When an individual who has a trust passes away, the appointed successor trustee is responsible for managing and wrapping up the affairs of the deceased. If you have been named as a successor trustee, you should feel proud that your loved one gave you this responsibility because it shows that they had confidence and faith in your ability to fulfill their wishes for their estate. Yet, with great power comes great responsibility. A successor trustee is a fiduciary, meaning that they are held to a high standard of care in the way they manage the estate.
Thus, if you are in a situation in which you’ve recently learned of your appointment as a successor trustee, it is important that you properly handle the estate and seek out the advice of good counsel to do so. Snyder Law can ensure that the trust administration process goes as smoothly as possible, while also making sure that your family is well-cared for and has all of their questions and concerns addressed.
Our trust administration process will help you:
- Understand what the trust documents actually mean
- Learn about your role as successor trustee, which will include an explanation of the tasks that will be required of you and the associated timeline for doing so
- Collect, inventory and manage the assets in the estate
- Notify all heirs and beneficiaries of the estate
- Pay any and all debts, taxes and expenses required by California law
- Make distributions to named beneficiaries
The team at Snyder Law can help you navigate the complexities of the trust administration process and make sure that you uphold the duties and responsibilities of a successor trustee so that your loved one’s wishes are carried out.
Contact an Irvine Trust Attorney
If you have questions on the trust administration process and the role of the successor trustee, contact Snyder Law today at (949)333-3702.